Thursday, April 25, 2019

Truckee / Reno April 2019

Day 1 – Saturday April 20, 2019

Greetings from Reno, NV. I am on a quick trip for a few different reasons. I here because this is my monthly trip away, wanted to check out a little railroad museum in Truckee, CA, and because I wanted to check out a Hampton Inn. I am also on this trip to clear my head as I have had a lot going on in personal life. Today I also got to try out the camera on my new iPhone so you know that always a fun thing.

At the beginning of this year, I told myself I need to get out and see more of the area around Sacramento. Also I knew small trips like this would help me relax and be ready for when I back to work and help me last until I take my next week off from work. Also this gives me a chance to do things I enjoy doing such as driving my truck with music on and play tourist. It also gives me something to write about. It is hard for me to think at 37 years old, I am discovering that I like writing about my experiences as well as documenting them visually with my iPhone and digital camera. Today was all about use the camera on my iPhone XS.
On my way to the Union Pacific Event

Originally I was going to just drive to Truckee to check out the small railroad museum and walk around town before driving to Reno, NV. That changed when I found out about a Union Pacific even in Old Sacramento and my trip took on a whole new theme. I spent most of my morning in Old Sacramento at the Experience Union Pacific event. This a traveling event for Union Pacific promoting the use of trains and using the 150th anniversary of the Transcontinental Railroad as way of doing that. They were showing off an old Union Pacific passenger train set parked outside the Sacramento Railroad Museum. They also had a freshly pained Union Pacific caboose there too.
Union Pacific Caboose in Old Sacramento

This was a good day for the small museum I went to today. The Truckee Railroad Museum is about the Transcontinental Railroad being built. It also talks about how after the railroad came, a lot of sawmills built narrow gauge railroads from the mills to Truckee were the timber would then be loaded on to standard gauge cars and shipped around the country. Also what was interesting was that one of the narrow gauge railroad that went from Truckee to Tahoe City was converted to a standard gauge railroad and out on to a pier where passengers would then get on ferries that would take them all around Lake Tahoe. This allowed someone to take one train ride from San Francisco to anywhere on Lake Tahoe without having to change trains.
Truckee Railroad Museums

After going through the museum and talking though the main part of town, I got some cool pictures of an old snow blower that the Southern Pacific would have used to blow snow off the tracks over the Sierra Nevada. There also an old crane on display on the east end of the main shopping street in Truckee. After getting some awesome pictures, I went to Fifty Fifty for a local beer and a burger. The IPA that I had was good and elk burger was good. I would like to go there again the next time in the area and try more of the beer they have there.

After I was done with my burger and beer, it was time for me to continue east to Reno to check out a Hampton Inn. I am sure you are wondering why do I want to check out a Hampton Inn. It’s not like I am checking out a super ritzy hotel. Truth be told, there is two reasons and they are related to each other. The first being is that I that I wanted to see what it is going to be like when I stay at a Hampton Inn or any other Hilton hotel now that I have the Hilton Honors Aspire American Express card. This my second premium credit card. To go a long with that, I am wanting to start a travel blog. I want to share my adventures as well as the places I stay. In keeping with the travel theme, I also want to review credit cards and share how they tie in with my travels. Since I do a lot of road trip type traveling, I would like to share the places I have stayed and what my experiences are like. I have not come across any travel blogs were people talking about their stays at the mid level hotels. I do plan on staying at some higher end hotels when I do redemptions of my points so there will be some reviews of those as well. I would like to cover trips that I do when I fly and take the train as well. So I think it will be a fun project. I may share reviews of other things such as Microsoft Office 365 since that what I am using to type these up on my iPad. I may even do reviews of all my travel gear as well. So keep an eye out for new postings. Who knows what will take shape on my blog.

So today has been a fun day for me. It has included trains, driving my truck, credit cards, and traveling. Most of all it is a day out of town allowing me to think about things but most of all, help me relax. So far I think I have made a good choice with my new credit card and I am liking this hotel. I will share more when stay is up and I am back home. Until then, have a good night from Reno.

Day 2 – Sunday April 21, 2019

Today was a travel day home. I did not have much time in Reno, NV due today being Easter and I was invited to dinner at my sister’s house in Roseville. I still have a good morning at the Hampton Inn as I got ready to head back to the Sacramento Valley.

Breakfast was very filling at the hotel. The had four main stations of food. On the far left is when they had a drink machine that dispensed four different kinds of juice, cups, and yogurt on ice to keep them cool. Moving to the right, there was a station that had to items such as gravy, bacon, and scrambled eggs. There was also a large covered tray of biscuits to go along with the gravy. Next to that was another station that three different kinds of cold cereal, milk, and different kinds of fruits. There was also bowls, plates, and plastic utensils for eating. Continuing to move to the right was the last stations. Here was two waffle makers with a case of pastries in the middle. There was also small cups for the waffle batter that was pre-made in a big metal container. In the center of the breakfast serving area was the coffee bar. Here they had 3 pots of coffee and one of hot water so that people could have tea or hot coco. There was also different kinds of sweeteners and creams for your hot drink.
Hampton Inn West Reno

After eating for almost an hour, I was full and it was kind to pack up and check out. After getting cleaned up and packed, I loaded my stuff into the truck. The process to check out was really quick. I just went to the front desk and let know I was checking out. They just asked my room number and before I knew it, the lady at the front desk had me checked out and said that my receipt would be emailed to me and I was all set.

After getting a picture of the hotel and topped off my truck, I was ready for the drive back to the Sacramento Valley. There was not much traffic until I got down to Rocklin. It was awesome to see the sun out and all the snow still in the higher parts of the Sierra Nevada. This definitely was a fun trip for me. I am looking forward to the next time I get to get away for a little bit. Until then, see you out and about.

No comments:

Post a Comment