Before getting the cruise ship with my grandfather last month, we stayed the night at the Sunrise Hotel. This hotel is right on the harbor in San Pedro, CA. It is a short drive from the cruise ship terminals in San Pedro and Long Bach. This hotel has a Park and Cruise offer. This were you can stay one night before a cruise and park your car at the hotel while you are on your cruise. They have a shuttle that will take you to your cruise ship the morning of your cruise and pick you when you up when you return. Grandpa and I have stayed here once before and this was our second time at this hotel.
![]() |
| The Sunrise Hotel |
This is a no thrills hotel but they did put together a nice continental breakfast and quick shuttle rides. They had different kind of bagels, pastries, instant oatmeal, small boxes of cereal, and some fresh fruit. They also had cartons of orange juice and milk. They also had fresh coffee on the bar as well. To help give the room causal feel, they had a tv on with KTLA with the local morning news show. Once we had our fill a breakfast and were packed, it was time for us to get ready to leave the hotel.
![]() |
| Breakfast Bar in the Sunrise Room |
![]() |
| The Sunrise Room |
When checking in to the hotel, if you are taking a shuttle to a cruise ship, they would have clip boards with the different cruises that would be leaving the next day. They would ask for you to sign up for a slot to get you to the right cruise ship. They use a Chevy passenger van as their shuttle to the cruise ship terminals. This van can take about to four couples or 8 passengers at a time. The most I have seen go in a trip is 6 passengers. What is nice is that this hotel services both the terminals in San Pedro and across Terminal Island in Long Beach. I would say that then you return from your cruise, they are quick to pick you up. When we got back from our Mexican cruise, I called for us to get picked up and was told it was going to be about 45 minutes. They picked us in about 25 minutes from the time I called. They will also load and unload the luggage as well. When we got back to the hotel, the driver asked where we parked so that we were close to the car and did not have to take our luggage far.
| Our Room |
While the people were friendly and the shuttle service is great, the actual property could use a refresh. Both times the room had this cream colored walls with this dark wood accent. The bathrooms were plain and a noisy fan. To me, it reminded me of something from the 1970's. While the beds were comfortable to sleep in, these rooms could use a total refresh. The exterior of the building was different shades of brown and cream and reminded me an of castle. One other thing I noticed was that the gate on the south of the pool area was chained close. It looked like the gate needed some work to be able to swing open and closed. Having this gate chained closed meant there was just one entrance and exit to the pool area. The pool was not heated so I did not go in but the hot tub was warm and Grandpa and I did check it out before going to dinner during our stay.
![]() |
| The Hot Tub & Pool |
![]() |
| The Pool |
One other thing that really needs some attention is the internet service. Getting connected took some patients. Once connected, the connection speed was slow or would have spotty connectivity. Also my phone would loose the wi-fi signal a lot. At times, it was better for me to connect to the public wi-fi in the park across the street. I defiantly feel this is something that needs to be improved.
With everything that I have said, it all comes down to, would I stay here again? I would stay here only if I was going on cruise out of Long Beach or San Pedro. There is just nothing special or really memorable about this other than the breakfast and the shuttle service. There is no pricing online and Grandpa paid for the stay both times. I could not give you an exact price but I know he said it was worth what he paid when it comes to the room, parking, and shuttle service. Being an independent hotel, there is no points to earn other than what you would get for putting the stay on a credit card. I would use some kind of travel credit card like the Chase Sapphire Reserve (or Preferred) since this would code as a travel transaction. Hopefully the next time I am there, there are some improvements to report.
Until next time…
Links:





No comments:
Post a Comment