Saturday, September 18, 2021

Getting Ready for Quarter 4 of 2021

Now that Chase had released their categories for next quarter, I now know what all of the 5% categories are for the next quarter on my cash back cards. With that, I can now plan what card will be used for what and if they need to be in my wallet or if I can keep them in my planner. One of the fun things about this hobby, is waiting and seeing what categories issues come up with on these cards. As reminder, I only use my card for purchases that I am already planning on to do and do not do any manufactured spending.

There is 15 days left in the quarter and that means Chase has released the 5% categories for the next quarter on the Chase Freedom and Freedom Flex cards. For quarter 4, all Walmart and PayPal purchases will earn 5% on Chase’s Freedom and Freedom Flex cards. Purchases done inside a store inside a Walmart and Shipt transactions will not count for the 5% transactions. PayPal transactions that are pier to pier or direct person to person and Xoom transactions will not count towards the 5% transactions. This means I will be using my Chase Freedom Flex for Walmart Pay and PayPal Key transactions to get the most out of my Chase Freedom Flex card.(1)

Discover on the on their hand publishes all of the 5% categories at the end of December for the fallowing year. I really like this because I can make plans early in the year as to when to use this card. For this year, quarter 4 categories for my Discover It card is going to be purchases at Amazon.com, Target.com, and Walmart.com. This means that I am going to use this card for all purchases at Amazon.com and Target.com and maybe at Walmart.com. This means I could use my Chase Freedom Flex for any in store purchases and my Discover card for anything online.(2)

While both Chase and Discover limit 5% back on the first $1,500 in combined purchases, but US Bank has a limit the first $2,000 in combined purchases for the 5% categories on the US Bank Cash Plus Visa. This card will continue to be my credit card for home expenses. This means my two 5% categories will be Tv, Internet, and Streaming services and Home Utilities. Since my grocery bonus is ending on my Chase Freedom Flex, groceries will be my 2% category on my US Bank card. We will see how much shopping I do at Walmart for groceries and how much I do at a normal grocery store.

With all of these changes, there are going to be some changes to cards I keep in my wallet. The Chase Freedom Flex will be taken out since it will be added to Walmart Pay for all Walmart purchases and everything else will be online. My Discover It card will stay in my planner since it will be used for online shopping as well. One card that will make into my wallet is my US Bank Cash Plus Visa since it will be used at grocery stores. My American Express Hilton Aspire card and my Chase Sapphire Visa will be in my wallet for dinning purchases. My Citi Costco Anywhere Visa will continue to be in wallet as my gas purchases (including purchases at 7-Elven) and my Costco purchases. My Chase Freedom Unlimited is still my catch all card. I am using my Bank of America Amtrak MasterCard, Chase IHG Premier Rewards Club MasterCard, and my Chase Southwest Premier Visa cards for the special bank deals. 

With the new quarter comes the new categories. With focus on shopping, I am sure it will be ease to use my cards that earn 5% cash back while more of my core cards will stay in my wallet and use my other cards for their cash back offers. It hard to think we are almost done with year but I want to end the year with as much cash back or travel points and miles as I can. I am so looking forward to traveling next year. But until then, keep safe


References

  1. Meet Freedom Flex. Chase. 2021. 18 Sep. 2021
  2. NHL Discover It Credit Card. Discover. 2021. 18 Sep. 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment