Thursday, September 29, 2022

Fourth Quarter for 2022

Hello, it has been a while since I have posted last. I have a had a lot going on in my personal life but have sometime to share with you my strategy for the fourth quarter of this year. Chase and Discover both have announced their 5% categories for the fourth quarter of this year, and I have picked the categories for my Citi Custom Cash card and my US Bank Cash Plus card. While my focus will be on cash back this quarter, I still plan on using my travel cards too.

Now that Chase and Discover have both shared what their 5% back categories are for the fourth quarter of this year, I can plan my other cards around this. For the Chase Freedom and Freedom Flex cards, the 5% back categories are PayPal and Walmart. (1) This means anything from PayPal and Walmart will earn 5% back in Ultimate Rewards points. This card will not be in my wallet this quarter since I will be using it mainly for PayPal transactions and will use my Capital One Walmart Mastercard for Walmart.com purchases. If I must go into a Walmart, I will make sure to grab my Chase Freedom card before going in. For Discover, all Amazon.com and all digital wallet transactions will earn 5% cash back. (2) This means anything from Amazon.com or any kind of digital wallet purchase will get you 5% cash back. Since Amazon.com has been a 4th quarter staple of the Discover It card (for as long as I can remember), I have had my Amazon Prime membership renew during this time so that I can get 5% back on it. I also renew my Microsoft 365 membership through Amazon.com during this time to get the 5% cash back on it too. 

Moving on to my other cards, I now have two cards that I get to choose what the 5% categories are. These cards are the Citi Custom Cash card and the US Bank Cash Plus card. For this Citi Custom Cash card, I have been using this card for getting 5% cash back at home improvement stores and think I will do that for this month. I like that I have different categories I can choose from and can change it month to month. For my US Bank Cash Plus, it will be my staple categories for me on this card which are internet, tv, and streaming as one category and home utilities for the other 5% category. This my card for paying my bills related to my home because of these useful categories.

As for my other cards, they will get some use too. I have different cards I can use for dining out and my Citi Costco Anywhere Visa card will be my go-to card for gas station purchases again. Also, since I am looking to do more traveling next year, my travel cards will get some use since I will want to use as many points as possible when booking my trips. I also feel that this a good spot to remind everyone that I do not do any manufactured spending on my cards. All spending is my normal spending that I would do otherwise and just want to maximize my earnings on all my spending. I always pay off my cards, so I don’t pay any interest and get the most value from my cards.

So that my strategy for the fourth quarter. My Chase Freedom will be use for online purchases paying with PayPal and my Discover will be used for Amazon.com and Apple Pay (my digital wallet) purchases, I will use my Citi Custom Cash card for home improvement purchases and my US Bank Cash Plus will continue to be my card of choice for bills for my home. My other cards will also be used for other purposes through out the quarter to help get me more points for traveling next year. It feels good to back here. Go out and get the most from your credit cards. Until next time, safe travels…


Sources:

1. Chase Freedom: Cash Back Credit Card | Chase.com. Chase, 28 Sept. 2022. Web

2. Discover it Cash Back Credit Card – 5% Cash Back on Select Categories. Discover, 28 Sept. 2022. Web


Discover It Referral Link - https://refer.discover.com/s/STEVEN13076347


No comments:

Post a Comment