This past week I
took a small road up to up Redding, CA. While it was a cool and wet, I was able
to have an enjoyable time. From taking at small hike at Castle Crags, to
checking out the Lake Shasta Caverns, to checking out Shasta Dam. While I was
up there, I was able to see a friend who I have not seen in at least six years.
The drive to Redding
is really easy, it is just over 2 hours north of Sacramento on Interstate 5.
While there is not too much traffic, when you get to some of the larger towns
there is a third lane that appears. Also, there is a good number of rest areas
as well. Just like heading south on I-5 from Sacramento, when heading north,
there are small towns that have fast food places as well as hotels for people
traveling the interstate. What I thought was interesting as you go north, you
slowly go up in elevation until you get to Anderson when you really notice the
changes in elevation. It also seemed like once you get to the city limits of
Redding, that is where the forest meets the grass lands of the valley. On the
first day I continued north of Redding to get to Castle Crags State Park.
| Castle Crags |
Getting to Castle
Crags was really easy, it was just off Interstate 5. It was really easy to get
to. I was greeted by a friendly ranger who gave me a map of the park and took
my day use fees of $8. The drive up from the ranger’s station up to the parking
for the day use area was up a one lane road. It was kind of a steep road and
happy that my truck has a v6 engine to get me up the road. Once parked, I took
small trail up to the view area where I could see the Castle Crags. I took some
pictures with both my digital camera and my iPhone. While I was there, I wanted
to take a hike and get closer to the crags. Well since I did not sync my new
phone to my camera before I left my trip, I was having trouble, and ended up
taking a different trail from the one I wanted to take. Since I did have full
cellphone service, I was able to figure about a mile in that I was on the wrong
tail. Since it was only partly cloudy, I
thought it should not be a problem and that I would just take a longer hike to
get the pictures I wanted. After getting to the Pacific Crest Trail and walking
towards the trail I would take to see more of the crags, it started raining. At
first it was really light and could not feel the rain as I was under a thick
grove of trees. As the rain picked up and it got to the point, I thought I
should head back to the truck. By the time I made it back to the truck, it was
raining really hard and the outside of my jacket was soaked (but still dry on
the inside). At first, I thought I would look to see what the side of the
shower was on the radar on my phone, the shower was not showing up. Since it
was getting into the evening at this point; I thought it would be best to get
something to eat since I had only a small breakfast and no lunch. When I left,
I told myself I would like to go back when it is not cloudy, and I can see all
of the crags and know what trail to take for a hike. If planned right, I could
go camping there or just go for the whole day.
| Pictures from my Castle Crags Hike |
After looking on the
map on my phone, there was nothing close to Castle Crags for dinner. After
looking around online and such, I decided I would drive up to the town of Mount
Shasta since that is where the first Black Bear Dinner is at. It was only 20 minutes
north on the freeway. It was going to be a drive back to Redding, I said to
myself I might as well and go since I am this close. The drive-up Interstate 5
was not and got there quicker than I thought. I was kind of disappointed in the
overall experience. I have been to the two Black Bear Dinners in Sacramento and
one in Rohnert Park. The one in Mount Shasta much smaller. I think thing that
did it was that the onion rings were cooked for too long. But overall it was a
good burger I had and happy that I stopped.
![]() |
| Original Black Bear Dinner |
The drive back to
Redding was not too bad. There were sections of the freeway that were under
construction so that made the drive a little interesting. Also, I was able to
see some of the damage to the forest from a major fire they had up there last
summer. It was amazing to see the level of destruction done to the forest. You
could see where they had to work on the drainage on the side of the mountains
were the freeway goes through to keep it from washing down on to the freeway.
Also, they were working on the VFW Memorial Bridge that goes over the lower
part of Lake Shasta.
Getting to the first
hotel I was staying at, the Hampton Inn & Suites Redding, was fairly easy
to get to. After getting checked in, I was to hang out with a friend who was in
Redding on business. To read more about my stay, check out my review in titled
Hampton Inn & Suites Redding.
Before getting the
truck all packed the next morning, I called Lake Shasta Caverns to make sure
they were still running tours because apart of the tour is taking a boat ride
across the lake and I knew if the weather was too bad, they could not take us
across the lake. I was in luck, even though there was the occasional rain
shower and some wind they were still running tours. I got the truck packed and
gassed up before heading out on the second day of my adventure.
My first stop of the
day was to the Lake Shasta Caverns. The cavers on the east side of the McCloud
arm of the lake. To get there you take Interstate 5 to Exit 695 and head east
down a small two-lane road until you get to the gift shop for the Lake Shasta
Caverns. It is there you get your tickets and board a patio boat. This boat
takes you across the lake where you board a small bus that takes you about 800
feet in elevation to small visitor’s center and where there is a man-made
entrance into the caverns. After a good walk into the side of the hill, you
arrive at intersection of paths. You go first to the left where take you into a
few different chambers. They talk about what some of the different formations
are called and give you some good examples of them. You loop around come back
to that first intersection. From there the tour takes you up to the rest of the
chambers of the cavern system. Like a lot of the cavern tours I have done this
year, the ground was wet from recent rains and the water was dripping in the
caverns as the tour was going through the caverns. It was a neat way to see the
caverns because this is when they are most alive. There was one chamber that
did not have many formations and there was no water dripping down and was a
prime example of a dead room of the caverns. Once we made it to the top of the
cavern system, we exited though another man-made entrance to the cavern system.
From the main level where we started to where we exited was about 100 steps up.
And these were good size steps and was a real workout. All through the caverns
and then down back to the visitor’s center was a very constructed walkway with
metal hand rails on both sides. Once there, it was down the hill on the bus and
back across the lake to the gift shop.
I would say if you
are in the Redding / Lake Shasta area, this would be something to see. I liked
the well-maintained walkways. There are many different kinds of formations to
see the walk is relatively easy. What could be challenging for some people is going
up the stairs in the second part of the tour. What helps out with his that
there are places where our tour guide would stop and tell us about the area we
are in and point out things for us to look at. This gives everyone in the group
a chance to catch their breath. This is where a lot of the original exploration
happened and you learn a lot more of the history of the caverns and how they
were discovered. For me it was totally worth it to go see.
Since I had some
time before seeing an old friend of mine, I went out to Shasta Dam. It is a big
dam and is one of the more well-known dams in California. It was an easy drive
from Interstate 5 on California 151. The highway ends right at the dam. The visitor’s
center is free to get into. When I got there, they had a video going about the
construction of the dam in the early 1940s just before World War II. When the
video was over, there was a hallway that had pictures and such about the
construction of the dam. They also had a model of the area and showed were the
Sacramento, McCloud, and Pit Rivers drained into Lake Shasta. It also had the
highways and major roads as a frame of reference. To get a real scale of the
dam, I walked out on to the dam. I walked just past were the main gates are
located. I took some pictures on both sides of the dam to get a sense of scale
of how tall the dam really is. The one thing I did not get to do is take a tour
of the dam. The tours were canceled because they were working on the elevators.
I was kind of bummed out but will be a reason to go back up north.
![]() |
| Shasta Dam |
The drive back to
Redding from the dam was very short. From this time on I went to visit a friend
I have not seen in a while. We talked for a while at his before going to
getting dinner together. It was good to see him, and I think he was really
happy got to see me. We have kept in touch via the internet, but it was really
nice to get caught up on things. After that I checked into the second hotel I
stayed at in Redding. To read more about my stay at the second hotel, check out
my review in titled Holiday Inn Express & Suites Redding.
The second part of
my trip took me back down to the northern part of the Bay Area. After getting
all packed up and topping off my truck, it was time for me to drive home to see
my parents. My mom had a small surprise birthday party for my dad. The drive was
not too bad. I was thankful to have cruise control in my tuck since the drive
is very constant on Interstate 5 and Interstate 505. Since I got to my parent’s
place a few hours before the party, my mom and I went for a walk and then put
the finishing touches on things for the party. My dad was surprised about the
gathering and that I was there. We all had a great time. We did not stay up too
late as my parents had to work the next day. Once I got up and cleaned up, I
got on the road to head home. I decided since I was not in a rush to get home,
I stopped at the winery where my mom works. We had lunch together and I did
some wine tasting and had a fun afternoon. I only had a little traffic on
Interstate 80 home, but it was not too bad.
In all, it was a
great trip and I was happy to get out of town. I defiantly would like to back
up to Redding since its just two hours up the freeway. I would like to back up
when I can do the tour at Shasta Dam. I would also like to do more hiking at
Castle Crags. There is also a lot that I would like to see that is with driving
distance of Redding. Also, it would good to see my friend again. I know Redding
is not the most glamorous place but there a lot of outdoor activities and
natural beauty just outside of Redding. I am sure I will go up that way again
to see a lot of the lesser known treasure in the area.
Until next time…




No comments:
Post a Comment